Friday, January 9, 2009

What a difference a year makes!

This is a picture of Olivia and Mia from Christmas 2007. Olivia is modeling the thong that Mia crocheted for her. We had no idea that a year later Mia would be living in Maine and Dylan and Kim would be married. Ok, we could have guessed the Dylan and Kim thing. Can't help but wonder where we will all be next year!

I've been having fun going back through the old xanga posts. Seriously nostalgic. Before I shut it down I want to print some of it out. Better buy a couple of cartridges!

Like most people I don't do well with New Year resolutions. I don't normally make them. I like being contrary and when I'm surrounded by people who are all pumped up with resolve I tend to refuse on principle alone.
Instead I cheat by choosing a word for the year and pretending that isn't really a resolution. In the past I have chosen such cheesy terms as "kindness" and "thankfulness" . Believe me, I need these things. I can be a mean, ungrateful person. Really! If you could see the inside of my head you would be amazed.

So last year I got inspired by our family's Christmas challenge to make things for each other. My word for the year was creativity. Kiss of death. I'm pretty sure I haven't had a creative thought all year.

You would think that I would just give it up but a bit ago I was cleaning out the fridge. I threw away enough food to feed us for a week, getting angrier with each emptied casserole dish and Rubbermaid container. The garbage disposal ground on and on, liquefying several dollars worth of grocery money. I bet I shelved books for three hours to pay for that roast and all those veggies.

So this is it. No lofty goals. Not going to be kinder, more grateful, or ten pounds lighter. I'm not resolving to be more thrifty or to be a better steward. I just want to throw away much less food. How hard can that be?

4 comments:

  1. not kinder---hehehe BUT my your come in handy. :) It was good to be back together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your came in handy---GLORY, the confusion continues. Oh, and I for one am very happy to see a new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i didn't know your blog was back! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. RYC: but your point of view might be fun, plus you have writing skills, I just throw thoughts out. :)

    ReplyDelete