Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving Thanks

Thanksgiving hasn't always been my favorite holiday. It was just a nice day with a good food that came before Christmas. That was the celebration that counted, what with Baby Jesus and the wise men and all those lovely presents.

I did have one problem with Christmas, and that was thanks giving. I would open my gifts,which were always pretty great because that was something my step mom was good at, and then I would just sit there. Oh, I said thank you but I would mumble it like some shy foreign exchange student who wasn't sure of the language. I'm pretty sure I was just embarrassed, but it must have come off bratty. My parents would sigh and say something about how hard they try.

Meanwhile my little sister would be bouncing around the tree, dumping out her stocking, shrieking with unabashed joy over each item no matter what it was. She bubbled her joy all over the place and I wished I was more like her. The personality differences exist to this day,though I am proud to report that I am much less churlish and have developed some social graces.

So now I am a Thanksgiving girl. There's nothing like an entire day of cooking,eating, laughing and loving to make you feel grateful. Even missing the people who can't be there makes you glad that you have them to miss.

This Thanksgiving morning I offered up my mumbled, dutiful thanks to a God who knew I was trying and doing my best. Tonight, at the end of a long, lovely time with kids and grandkids, I will fall into bed and give my Father all the thanks my heart can give.


1 comment: